Poppy has always known she was different – cats follow her everywhere and mysterious things happen when she gets angry, bad things, like windows shattering and random fires. There’s usually blood involved. So exactly the kind of things that get you expelled from eleven schools in a row and which eventually drive her mother into a mental institution…
What Poppy doesn’t know is that there is a very reasonable explanation for all of this: her evil witch aunt swapped her out with a regular mortal – Ember – when she was less than a day old. Making Poppy, ta-da!, a witch… And poor Ember, a talentless mortal in witch clothes. (It’s difficult to say which character feels the most sorry for themselves at the beginning of the story.) Then there’s Leo, the young homeless boy who steals Poppy’s heart.
You can expect:
– Dark, gothic undertones. #myjam
– A cute, magical romance…. A love triangle of sorts. #SOmean
– Multiple p.o.v characters.
– Dark family secrets. #yeahbaby!
– High school drama.
– A brutal ending. Seriously. I need a sequel stat. This ending CANNOT stand! #obsessed #really?
Orchard Books is publishing The Hawkweed Prophesy on June 16th.