Hmmm. This was a difficult book to rate. I stayed up all night reading it, so my first instinct was ‘great read, full marks!’ But then it occurred to me how many triggers this book, which is technically YA, would have for certain readers:
- alcohol / substance abuse
- suicide / dead parents
- borderline cheating
- insta-infatuation (although, in the author’s defence, the actual romance was slow burn)
So… if you can get passed all of those things, this is why I LOVED this dual POV romance.
- Clay might be an alcohol-soaked mess, but he’s also endearing at times, sexy and intelligent. He might be defensive and emotionally closed off in the beginning, but he doesn’t stay that way…
- Annie is independent, driven to achieve her dreams despite personal tragedies and incredibly loyal. Although, arguably, Clay doesn’t always deserve her steadfast devotion…
- Whip smart dialogue.
- Well written secondary characters and plenty of humour to lift the darker moments.
- Best first line ever… “If I die, it’s Trina Hamilton’s fault.”
- This is a real PAGE-TURNER!!!!
Rating: 4.5 delicious cupcakes!!!!